There are two main types of motivation – intrinsic and extrinsic.
Intrinsic motivation comes from internal desires – we do things because we enjoy or want them, not because we have to. Examples of intrinsic motivation are going on a diet or working out at the gym because we want to look more attractive. We are internally motivated to do things that are fulfilling, interesting or enjoyable (looking good).
Extrinsic motivation comes from external factors that are controlled by others. If you go on a diet or work out because that is what your peer group is doing, that is extrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is usually powered by money, recognition, fame, praise, or acceptance.
Motivation can be both internal and external. For example, you want to be healthy and look good because you enjoy the way it feels, and because your peer group or partner expects it.
Intrinsic motivation is usually more powerful than extrinsic motivation – intrinsic motivation helps us continue because we feel inspired, driven, happy and satisfied with ourselves. For example, we tend to work harder when we really want that straight “A” result, rather than pursuing the goal merely to gain approval or recognition.
The fear of failure is perhaps the greatest motivator of all, so long as it doesn’t stop us starting or trying. As Bill Crosby said “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”
Regardless of whether our motivation is internal or external we need it every day.
Here are 12 motivational hacks to inspire you:
- Set BHAGS – Big Hairy Audacious Goals
- Problem solving – is rewarding and addictive
- Surround yourself with passionate people
- A scorecard – set targets and record daily results
- Be values driven – do what you believe is important
- Know your “why” – be it family, friends, or saving the planet
- Reading – the best thinking is inspirational
- Progress – be better every day
- Role models – if others can do it, so can you
- Feedback – recognition of your effort and results
- Nature – be inspired by its power and beauty
- Visualisation – create and imprint the desired result in your head (and heart).
Q – What is your daily motivational hack?
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.” Zig Ziglar